Saturday, April 19, 2014

Egon Schiele!

Self portrait done in the style of Egon Schiele-3hours


I got the opportunity in my painting class to try and attempt a self-portrait done in the style of Egon Schiele. I have just recently grown fond of Schiele's work. Schiele's observations of the human form blow me away. I also really admire how he applied paint to his portraits, on the one hand it just looks like he put color and value as if it where a mere whim, yet after taking a closer work I realized each line serves a purpose in describing the form, the color and value help show volume and the planes of the face! Put simply Egon Schiele really understood all the fundamentals. I had trouble starting off, my line work was timid and wiry, however once I added the value and color the painting just came to life. I think the best part of this assignment was playing with the opacity of the paint.  

No comments:

Post a Comment